We all have learned that excess alcohol brings consequences such as headaches, blurred memory, and much vomiting. However, if you are one of the people who does not drink too much and start to feel bad almost instantly, then you are probably intolerant of alcohol.
A study led by the University of Mainz in Germany analyzed 950 people, and the results were quite surprising. Almost 25 percent of individuals showed symptoms of alcohol intolerance without knowing they were.
The study’s author, Dr. Heinz Decker, said there are many hidden ingredients in beverages, whether it is wine, beer or some distillate. Anyone can trigger reactions.
Mind you; it is not the same to have alcohol intolerance than allergy. The allergy to alcohol is much rarer, and its symptoms are stronger.
For example, someone who is allergic to alcohol is likely to experience physical pain, swelling of the eyes and respiratory problems, while an intolerant person has the following symptoms:
Alcohol has a vasodilatory impact on the stomach, which means that it makes it more susceptible to absorbing food allergens in your system. Such ingredients like gluten and wheat, which are usually found in beer, leave a feeling of bloating and stomach pain like when a meal falls badly or heavy.
Some people just have to adjust the amount they drink to avoid symptoms or drink gluten-free beers.
Your face turns red
If your skin becomes pink or red, it is a clear indication that something in your drink does not feel so good. Dr. Decker says that the protein of grapes in wine, combined with sulfites and other organic compounds, could be to blame for this side effect. There is an allergen called LTP that is found in the skin of grapes, which causes a red wine to cause these reactions.
If your skin becomes red as if you had sun, you should know that this syndrome is known as the “Asian glow,” and more than intolerance is synonymous with allergy and red cheeks are only the beginning.
Watery eyes and stuffy nose
There is a significant possibility that alcohol intake triggers allergies that have nothing to do with alcohol itself. It means that when drinking, you increase the risk of developing allergies to dust, pollen, a thousand things or, if you are allergic to nuts or nuts, keep in mind that there are beverages that have them as ingredients so that attention to the label.
However, nonalcoholic allergies are not the only possible causes. There are two ingredients in alcohol that are known to produce histamines – bacteria and yeast – Histamines are compounds that regulate physiological functions, cause blood vessels to become inflamed so that you will feel watery eyes and a constipated nose.
Your heart rate rises
If you think your heart is speeding more than usual after the second drink, there is something in the bottle that your body does not accept.
You may feel a little scared at first, but according to Dr. Decker, he says that if you experience an increase in your heartbeat, it is a sign that you are intolerant to alcohol although you should not worry too much. However, if you persist for a long time and have trouble breathing, call your doctor immediately because it could be an allergy.
Your head hurts every time you drink
We are not just talking about a headache that a hangover generates. We refer to a persistent pounding in the temple every time you finish a drink. It is one of the first symptoms of alcohol intolerance.
If you recognize one or more of these symptoms, we recommend you not to skip drinks and experiment with which drinks you feel sick to avoid later.